I wanted the back of the dress to be different from the front, so I made another pattern, with similar elements (tesselated octagons) but also added squares. I made the overall shapes smaller and the colour all black. I wanted the strap that went from the front to the back to be yellow and stand out, creating the illustion that it continued from the front onto the back. I then lazer cut those two pieces out and sewed them together. I made the dress one strapped, and then I attached an elastic piece to the other shoulder to help it stay up on someone's body.
My next step was to move the honey comb octagonal pattern over to illustrator. I decided I wanted to make the front of the dress two different strips of a chain-like pattern, one yellow, one black. I designed those strips so they fit into a dress shape and then lazer cut the first onto yellow cloth and the second onto black bloth. I had ironed on a stiff backing to the yellow and black felt before so it would hold it's shape better when sewn together. I then sewed the yellow and the black strips together connecting one side of each octagon together.
I wanted to learn how a dress is actually formed so I found a dress pattern online, edited it a little on Adobe Illustrator then lazer cut the two pieces out of a basic dress fabric. After sewing it together and trying it on I felt like I understood the different porportions I would need to keep in mind to make a well fitting dress.
I worked on processing to design gtric patterns which would inspire our design for the dress. We practiced making systems to create shapes and changed certain varilables, such as side number, number of rolls or collums or size of shape. We wrote a program to generate random shapes and tesselate themselves. My program generated an octatgonal pattern resembling a honey comb.