Process post

Process post

Maxwell Cottrell and Micaela Pierce
1 / 15

The goal is to apply constant pressure on the finger joints while allowing them to bend freely. The problem with space suits today is they are filled with gas making it hard for astronauts to move while in space. We sent out to slove this problem.

In the beggining we weren't really sure what we wanted to do. We looked at many precedents dealing with just the fingers and their finger joints, which helped us to decide to deal with the finger joints. Our coach Rosie helped us formulate this finger idea and help it come alive. 

In the end we made a bracelet that attatches to the fingers. It serves to keep even compression to all of the finger will allowing them to move without any difficulty. 

 

Iteration 1: Our first iteration was assembled mostly by hand with the use of the laser cutter. This iterations served as our first model, to test how the braclet fit as well as the composition of the design worked with each other. This draft didn't mimic the exact movment or compression of the final design because it was used to see how it pieced together. We used the software program Rhino to laser cut out the cardboard braclet and finger rings. After we assembled the laser cut pieces I attatched a metal wire that I cut to act as the string that woud pull on the rings to make them turn in the final design. 

Iteration 2: This iteration was our final design and product from this studio. Similarly to the first design we used Rhino to model and generate the design. What was different this time is we used the 3D printer to print the models to get a more professional design. This iteration was great because it really applied the compression that we were looking for. Also the fingers were able to move and adjust as they bent and moved around. The bracelet had four slits for the strings to hold and attatch to each individual finger.