Process

Vida Bailey and 3 OthersRosa Weinberg
Esther Cohen
Adut Ayuel
1 / 21

The goal of this studio was to create a wearable tool to help future humans living in extreme conditions to survive and thrive. Our environment was steep mountainsides and we wanted to make something to help people climb up, move around easier, and grab onto things.

Iteration 1: Our first iteration was just a piece of cardboard that we cut out free hand with pieces sticking out. We got our inspiration from Dr. Octopus in the Spiderman series. It looked very spidery and was basically just a very rough idea of what we wanted to accomplish. 

Iteration 2: For our next iteration we made a corset shape around a manequin and attached legs to it through slots. This looked very interesting with the legs all spaced out and we really liked the basis of it. Obviously with this there were some attachment issues and we would have to work more on the range of motion and asthetic of it. 

Iteration 3: Next, we started thinking about different materials that the idea could be made out of. We expirimented with tubes on a miniature model and attached them to another piece of cardboard with holes in it and some hot glue. We decided to steer clear of the tubing idea for visual and assembly aspects. 

Iteration 4: Our next iteration was a belt on a miniature manequin with three legs coming of of it. Our idea was that the legs would be able to move up and down and there would be spikes on the end to help climb. This is the protorype that started to resemble our final the best.

Iteration 5: We then made a bigger version of the 4th iteration with hinges so that it was movable and attached to a belt. While the idea was strong the look of the design lacked asthetic so we decided to revamp it a little bit by adding some cutouts and extra things sticking out of it. Adut and I really liked the look of this and just thought it needed some more dynamics to it.

Iteration 6: We looked at some claw models and decided that the cutout idea was a good fit and we looked at some different shapes. We made these movable by separating them with a divider. We then decided on the triangle look and made it a little visually better. We then cut this out of wood with a claw piece on the end and really liked how it turned out. We just wanted to make the top part a little more interesting and the cutouts also. 

Iteration 7: Our final iteration took many little pieces strung around the belt spacing out the revamped top pieces. Some of these have legs coming off of them and the size gets bigger as it goes around the body. We had to play around with the number of little pieces many times ranging from 7 to 10. We decided on 10 and also played with a design with string going through the holes of the project. We didn't like how this worked so we decided to ditch that idea. 

Our final product will allow future people to live on steep mountains so they can climb up and down, lift heavy rocks and grab on to the mountainside.