Final Iteration

Joseph Chafkin

The Final Project of our team was a spinning globe with LED lights. This globe would react to changes in the brainwave activity of its operator by changing its color scheme. 

After making our our first prototype we noticed a few problems that could be revised.

First, we noticed that the lights seemed to disappear when the globe with the LED lights started spinning; creating a blinking effect. We concluded that the problem was caused by the arrangement of the LED strip; it was mounted on the edge of a semicircle. We solved this by turning our original semicircle design into a laser cut polycarbonate circle; mounting an LED strip along the entire border.

Next, we noticed that the stepper motor was not giving us enough power (we needed our circle to spin very quickly in order to create the appearance of one globe of light by way of persistence of vision). We remedied this by attaching a larger, more powerful motor that was no longer controlled by Arduino (we didn't want the design to vary speed, therefore the EEG output was used solely to manipulate lights). Sean perfected a code on Max that would make the LED strip light up different colors based on brainwaves.

Finally, we wanted to put a large wooden box around the model to hide all the wiring and innards, but it was too bulky, so we decided to leave the mechanics of the model exposed. The result was a mesmerizing visual display that easily entrances people. Believe me, I stared at the thing for about an hour straight.