Turn signal gloves: final version

William Truslow

On wednesday, I conducted a final experiment before commencing the assembly of the finished gloves. Due to the durability of the fabric on the palms and fingertips of the gloves, sewing the little conductive patches on would be too difficult a task. I opted to glue the patches on instead. Because the fishbowl had two kinds of glue I ran a simple test by gluing 4 small pieces of fabric to a larger sheet of fabric, two for glue number 1 and two for glue number 2. One of the samples for each kind had an abundance of glue applied and the other had a much smaller amount applied. After letting each sample dry overnight, I determined that the sample that had a large amount of glue number 2 applied was the best choice for the gloves. I then began sewing the components to the gloves. I first sewed on the battery holder with conductive thread and then sewed one of the - ports to the - sides of 5 small LEDs using the same thread. Next, using a new piece of thread, I sewed the + sides of all the LEDs down. Once I this was finished, I sewed up from the back of the glove and up the back of the index finger. Throughout this whole step I was using a newer sewing technique that involved sewing in a spiraling motion making small stitches. This proved to be far more effective than my previous technique and held the thread in place better than before.Once I had reached the tip of the Index finger I used the rest of the thread and sewed into a small patch of conductive thread that Tess was kind enough to make for me. Once the patch was threaded I sewed from the + port on the battery holder up the thumb of the glove just as I had done with the index finger. When I had reached the tip I threaded another patch. I then applied glue number 2 to both patches and adhered them to the tips of each finger. I then repeated that whole process on the other glove and after leaving the gloves to dry overnight, I was done.