Initial Idea + Inspiration:
In addition to the main piece of the Fearless Wall, an add-on piece was created for the purpose of being able to the lock the user's elbows from going out further which is critical when performing headstand poses. We drew inspiration from when peforming these headstands, the group quickly realized that our elbows would gradually turn out, which is something you want to prevent when performing the pose. That is why we set out to create a device that prevented just that.
The way we went about creating the first prototype was to make two large blocks that would be running across a bar. The purpose of this design choice was it was hoped that the blocks would be able to lock in place and also be adjustable, thus allowing it to able to be used by a wider range of people.
After the first prototype of the add-on at 1/4 scale was created, many flaws were quickly arose. For one, the add-on didn't have any way for the blocks to lock into place, thus when the user made contact with the blocks, they would immentiely move out of place, throwing them off balance and defeating the purpose of the add-on. Secondly the entire notch and ridges system that was used to put the add-on together were all off, causing the entire device to look rough, unprofessional, and just slopply. And finally it was noticed that having the rod run through the middle of the blocks didn't allow a lot of the acutal block itself to be used for arm space, meaning that in the next prototype that was something that needed to be fixed.
In the second prototype, most of the issues that were present in the first prototype were completely fixed. The blocks were now able to lock in place thanks to the notches along the bar that in conjunction with nothces that are on the outsides of the blocks, allow for the blocks to sit snug within the add-on. Also the notches themselves were improved across the entire piece, which allowed for the overall design of the device to look a lot cleaner. And finally the placement of the hole on the outsides of the blocks were moved from being in the middle to the back of. Which allowed for the majority of the blocks to be used for the acutal headstand.
For the final prototype of the add-on, there were three things that were accomplished. One, the add-on's native size was increased to insure that it would accomodate a user of any size. Another difference was that the prototype itself was created on a 1/2 scale instead of a 1/4. And finally we wanted to add another facet to the add-on that would just allow for more poses to be used in conjunction with the device. This came in the form of hand hold pieces that would be used in a formarm pose. In this pose it is important to keep your hands stable to properly execute the yoga pose. This is what the handhold pieces had accomplished.
And with that final prototype being achieved, the overall add-on had been completed.