Polyplant

  • We were asked to create a robot that tracks a black line on a white surface. We decided we wanted to use omniwheels so our robot could be more maneuverable.

     

    Here is an example from the Reaction Shelter project:

    The Problem: Over 300 natural disasters occur globally every year, displacing 32.5 million people on average.Domestically, 99 federal disaster declarations were on file with FEMA in 2011.
    The Solution: The Reaction Housing System is a rapid response, short-term housing solution.
    Detailed Solution: The core sustem components flat pack to provide extremeley efficient storage and transportation. The systems can be deployed within hours of an event without the need for tools or heavy machinery.

    2. Further Ellaboration:

    Main Story or Theme: describe in further detail the reason for your project and the overall way you are solving that problem
    Mechanics: Describe how your project works and what it is doing
    Development: Briefly explain the progression of your project
    Challenges: Describe technical and design challenges you faced or are still facing. 

    3. Iterations

    Each iteration should have a paragraph describing how you how you modified the project after receiving feedback.

    Here is an example from the Backcountry IV Project:

    In our second iteration, we redesigned the cylinder so that it actually had two compartments that would screw together. Though there were two compartments, there would be a small piece in between the two that would screw them together, so that they remained the same diameter and size. We designed the piece to fit exactly between the two compartments so that it wouldn’t be visible when the entire piece was together. The part had triangular shaped spaces cutting through it where the IV tube and wires for the technology side of our studio fit. In the upper cylinder, the holes remained for the UV lights, but there was more space underneath for the Arduino. In the bottom compartment, we created a hole in the middle designed to fit the IV reservoir and tubing, and small spaces directly next to the reservoir where the resistors to warm the reservoir sat. This spacing for the pieces worked well, except that the entire reservoir piece took up too much room, so much that all of the compartments didn’t screw together. Underneath the inner part designed to hold the reservoir and resistors, there was room underneath to hold the arm cuff and the excess tubing. We also designed two caps to close together the whole piece. Except for the fact that it was a bit sharp and there some minor fitting issues, the caps worked well and made the entire piece compact and portable. For the next iteration, which was the final one, we made a few critical changes.

  • 1. Design Problem and Solution:

    Plants need an optimum amount of light to grow fully, but with the sun moving across the sky, it's very hard for a plant to always stay in the sun.

    Our solution is a robot which uses phototransistors to measure where has the most light and follows the sun throughtout the day as to provide optimal amount of light for the plants to grow their maximum. It has a hexagonal shape with the sensors at the top as to be able to tell and because of it's design, it can hold multiple plants, and it can be programmed to provide different levels of light for each side.

    2. Further Ellaboration:

    Main Story or Theme: describe in further detail the reason for your project and the overall way you are solving that problem
    Mechanics: Describe how your project works and what it is doing
    Development: Briefly explain the progression of your project
    Challenges: Describe technical and design challenges you faced or are still facing. 

    3. Iterations

    Each iteration should have a paragraph describing how you how you modified the project after receiving feedback.

    Here is an example from the Backcountry IV Project:

    In our second iteration, we redesigned the cylinder so that it actually had two compartments that would screw together. Though there were two compartments, there would be a small piece in between the two that would screw them together, so that they remained the same diameter and size. We designed the piece to fit exactly between the two compartments so that it wouldn’t be visible when the entire piece was together. The part had triangular shaped spaces cutting through it where the IV tube and wires for the technology side of our studio fit. In the upper cylinder, the holes remained for the UV lights, but there was more space underneath for the Arduino. In the bottom compartment, we created a hole in the middle designed to fit the IV reservoir and tubing, and small spaces directly next to the reservoir where the resistors to warm the reservoir sat. This spacing for the pieces worked well, except that the entire reservoir piece took up too much room, so much that all of the compartments didn’t screw together. Underneath the inner part designed to hold the reservoir and resistors, there was room underneath to hold the arm cuff and the excess tubing. We also designed two caps to close together the whole piece. Except for the fact that it was a bit sharp and there some minor fitting issues, the caps worked well and made the entire piece compact and portable. For the next iteration, which was the final one, we made a few critical changes.