Memory Collar -- Visual Lullaby/ Multi- Purpose Jacket

Daily Post 11/18/15

Kalala Kiwanuka-Woernle

Today our group made many advances on the project. I began with finalizing the different designs for the individual pieces. The three different designs were for the acrylic, felt and cotton. To test it out I first cut out the acrylic cut in cardbaord, but cut the other designs out of cotton and felt. To check they all fit we clued the cardboard pieces to the felt andthen sewed it to the cotton. Sammi added in the stuffing to make sure it had enough space for everything. We decided to offset the inner circle of the inner circle so that the seams had extra parts at the ends and make it easier to sew. Calder spent the day working on the pieces for the electronics because they still hadn't come. As a group we decided instead of having the collar actually work we will have a demo version because we won't have enough time. Sammi and I spent time talking to David about the code for the LEDS and he helped us write one to make sure that it would function properly. I finished the day off lasercutting the maoin design out of acrylic, felt and cotton. 

Daily Post 11/17/15

Kalala Kiwanuka-Woernle
1 / 8

Today we made lots of changes to our design. First we made a mock-up out of cardboard and sewed the pieces together so that it was flexible. We thought initially that we wanted to make the neck piece out of fabric, but after talking to Rosie we felt the project may be better if we make it out of acrylic and fabric like the mirror neck piece. We decided to make another prototype that would be a lot more similar to the final so we undid all the stitches and taped the individual triangles to allow movement. We played with the placement of the fabric as well and the sizes of the triangles and how they would be aligned. The electronics still haven't come in yet so Calder spent time creating pieces to put around the buttons. He came up with many different designs and laser cut them and 3D printed them. Tomorrow we need to work really hard so that the project will be done on time.

Daily Post #3

Kalala Kiwanuka-Woernle
1 / 3

On Friday we began the day deciding who was going to do what on the project. Calder's main focus will be the LEDS, Sammi's will be the speakers, and mine will be sewing and helping with the LEDS and speakers. I sewed the sleeves onto the top and cut the front layer in half to make it into a jacket. I took the edges and folded them in half to make the jacket look more finished. David showed us as a group the GPS that we would be implementing into the jacket and gave us some background on how they worked. He showed us how a microphone works and how to know which one would have the best sound quality. We decided that the best product would be a microphone that would connect to a recording device. David also told us about digi-keys and McMaster so we began using these sites to look for things like buttons and LEDS. Hopefully on Monday I can remake the jacket and get the measurements a lot better.

Daily Post

Kalala Kiwanuka-Woernle
1 / 3

Today we began the day deciding on our IPP. I chose to work on the Visual Lullaby/ Multi-purpose jacket and I'm very excited. For this project I'm working with Calder and Sammi and I've worked with both of them in the past and I feel we will get lots of great work done. We felt that the Visual Lullaby and the Multi-purpose were really strong projects on their own, so combining them would make them even better. We began the day examining the two projects and seeing how we could combine them. We began brainstorming and focusing on who the project was for and what changes that we would need to make. We listed out the components and broke up the work so that everyone had a job. We felt that making the jacket would make it more personal so we watched a video on YouTube on how to make a bomber jacket. I'm very excited about the project and can't wait to see the final product.