Home
Student Gallery
Enrollment Academic Year Program Fall 2019 PreVu Summer 2020 Summer 2020 NuVu At MIT Summer 2020 NuVu At MIT Residential
About Us What is NuVu Calendar Team + Advisors Partners Blog Press Jobs Contact Us
Nuvu X What is NuVuX Offerings Partners
Reset Password
Emotion Mask

Spring 2015 IPP | Projects

  • Going off of where the last studio left off, there were two main goals for our independent session: to make a functional "control glove," and to make a more organize, well constructed mask. 

    The glove was made well, although I wish there could've been better wire organization, and maybe some color coordination for aesthetics. The rings housed the pressure sensors, and all had wires tha converged to the wristband pretty nicely. 

    We made the mask construction 100% intentional this time, as opposed to the random scale placement of the Mark I, "Yeti" mask. For the Mark II, everything was designed in Rhino, and specifically made to fit together. Because everything had to be so exact, there were some small mistakes and things that didn't work out as anticipated, but overall it came out looking good.

  • Continuing from the Mark I mask we made in the Uno Space studio, there were two main goals in mind going into the IPP session: To make a functional, wearable, glove; and to make a well crafted, organized second version of the Mask. From this there were two main processes: The glove building, and the Mask Building. In the end, we finished with a fully functional, and wearable glove, and a fragile, yet beautiful Mask Mark II. Just because I gave Mark I the nickname "yeti," I'll name this Mark II version "Guy" mask because it reminds me of Guy Manuel of Daft Punk.

     

    Glove:

    Starting this studio, the glove had a 1st gen version of the wristband, pressure sensors, and rings that worked, but weren't perfect. 

    First, we made better rings, with holes that were not too small, and not too big either. There was minimal protrusion from the hole on this version. 

    We also made a better version of the wristband, this time with a battery slot, and a hole for the wires to feed through.

    Next, we made a pinky ring because the regular sized rings were not fitting on the pinky's first knuckle; the hole's diameter was too big. 

    From there, we decided the rings were finalized, and started to play around with conductivity to incorporate the switch in a more seamless way than just having two male connectors to touch each other. 

    Next, we organize all the wires and use electric tape to separate them in an organized way, and connect them to the arduino on the Wristband, and the Glove is complete.

     

    Mask:

    The mask design was started a little late in the two weeks. We started with Rhino, and make difference arches based on approximate measurements of my face. From there we designed a model and laid out the pieces for the laser cutter. There were a few design changes along the way, such as the addition of the ear pieces, or the shape of the tiles, but none of those were physically iterated because of material conservation. After everything was cut out, everything was assembled to make the mask. Because of how small we made the Ear Pieces, the mask itself is a little fragile, but is still strong enough to be worn. The holes for the LED's didn't line up properly, so the LED strip ended up being hot glued in a last minute effort to have the mask presentable that Thursday. The mask is near perfect, and if I ever have the opportunity to make another one, I already know which issues need fixing, and how to fix them.

  • Our project was about making a mask that lights up based on your emotions. So if we were to say someone was angry, the color would be red, if someone were sad the color would be blue, and if someone were jealous the color would be green. This project requires an arduino, 3 pressure sensors, and some LEDs. The LEDs have 3 colors, red, blue, and green. That is one for each pressure sensor.

  • Our project was based off of an old project in the fourth studio. And in that studio we made a mask that lights up based on your emotions. So if we were to say someone was angry, the color would be red, if someone were sad the color would be blue, and if someone was jealous then the color would be green. The LEDs have 3 colors, red, green, and blue. This project required 3 pressure sensors, so that we had one for each color, LED strips, so that the whole mask could light up, and an arduino so that the pressure sensors could light up the mask. All the wires connect to the arduino, the black wire on the battery go to the ground pin, which is labeled GND, and the red wire on the battery goes to VIN, the pressure sensors have white, black, and red wires. The black wires all go into GND like the black wire on the battery, all the red wires go into the 5 volts pin. And the white wires go to pins A0, A1, and A2 so that each pressure sensor can work individually for each color. And the LED strips have the same colored wires as the pressure sensors. Red and black go into the same pins but the white wire goes into D9.