We were tasked with creating a sci-fi world in which we would create and then build a machine. Our world has aliens have taken over and nearly driven humans to extinction. Only one island remains safe and humans must find ways to disguise themselves. It was discovered that the aliens see clearly in infrared light, but can also discern color differences. Thus, camouflage technology has been developed to avoid IR detection as well as change colors.
We started off with our initial design having a projector displaying an image taken with a camera of the environment behind the person, as inspired by a precedent in Mission Impossible. After an initial prototype, we decided to move towards infrared cloaking instead and being able to blend in with the environment rather than trying to mimic it.
With our second iteration, we designed an accordion-like structure that would envelop the wearer as camouflage. We found this design to be movement impairing and restricted its wearer. However, we did develop a rudimentary harness out of wood that we would continue to refine.
With our third iteration, we thought of a more shell-like design that could be opened up and conceal the wearer when crouching. We worked on the headpiece first and designed panels attached by fabric. To camouflage against IR, we designed the headpiece so that it would not touch the wearer and thus transfer heat energy to the actual "machine". We originally planned to make the ribs out of wire and overlay fabric on top but decided to go towards a shell route. From here, we worked on expanding this design to the whole body, looking towards the shell of a roly poly for inspiration. We first created a full small-scale model, designing 3 types of shell pieces and clips to hold the shell pieces to the webbing.
From here, we began work on a full-scale design with clips for attaching the dowel to the spine strap and to the shell. We also began work on a LED light sensor system however, the sensor did not work and so we adapted our approach in having the wearer control the color given off. We decided against motorizing the headpiece.
The harness was designed to support both the back shell and headpiece. The straps were made adjustable and all the pieces were sewn together. We cut our final shell pieces out of plastic and designed notches in order to hold the pieces together. They held together well but took a long time to cut.