Home
Student Gallery
Enrollment Academic Year Program Fall 2019 PreVu Summer 2020 Summer 2020 NuVu At MIT Summer 2020 NuVu At MIT Residential
About Us What is NuVu Calendar Team + Advisors Partners Blog Press Jobs Contact Us
Nuvu X What is NuVuX Offerings Partners
Reset Password
Frog Jumper

Physical Games | Projects

  • Staying fit and moving around in today's busy world is a hard thing to do. We created a fun game, which using load cells, forces the user to jump to the correctly lit lily pad. Our game keeps you active and moving while you jump from pad to pad.  

    At the the core our game is powered by three things: an arduino, load cells, and processing code. Each of the four lily pad has four load cells and one LED strip. The wiring then flows to one lily pad which holds the arduino. The arduino then has a code that sends the data from the loads cells and LEDs to our computer running the processing code. Our code then outputs a screen on the computer with the game's interface. Our idea was faced with many problems along the way. One main problem we had was getting out leds to work. After hours of troubleshooting we realized that there was an issue with the communication from the processing code to the arduino code, which was powering the lights. We had to adjust our code so that the two could communicate.

    For our first iteration, we designed and built the lilypads out of cardboard. Building in cardboard helped us significantly because we were able to test out our locking mechanism to see if there were any flaws in the design without having to waste perfectly good wood. We laser cut several different lilypad designs to see which lilypad looked more realistic and was a suitable size for jumping. We also designed and built a “hashtag” system that supported the lilypads so that all the lilypads could be at different heights to add another competitive component to our game. The way the hashtags worked was by having four pieces of cardboard lock into each other to create a more secure and sturdy support system to provide more stability when jumping from lilypad to lilypad. After working in cardboard, we went straight to our final product in wood.