On Wednesday we put together the door matt. It was not a very hard task to do. We built it where we had two copper peices on both sides of the foam matt with a hole in between. This makes it so that when you stepped on the hole the copper touched and the eletrical current was connected causing the electricity to flow. Once we had that in place and functioning Sam, Graeme and I split up. Graeme and I on the button method and sam on the voice actvation method. The next day the voice activation peice for sam was not working too well because the voice sensor was poor and David's expertise did not cover programming this particular voice sensor. By messing around with it for a couple hours, to my knowledge, they got it to be partialy funcitonal. We decided not to use the sensor because it wasn't worth dealing with poor technology and we had a back up plan that would involve just the button. Then over on Graeme and I's side we hooked up the button, the servo, and the matt all to the same arduino and began programming it so that the botton was not able to be used until the electical currnet in the mat was connected. When the button was pushed the servo would turn 180 degrees turning the door handel allowing the user to push his or her way though. Now, the only thing left in the project is to mount the device on a door.
written by Rowan Lavelle
editted by Graeme Mills